+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Substitute Spruce with 6061?

Substitute Spruce with 6061?

I'm looking to build an ultralight (Beaujon's Viewmaster if you're familiar with it). The fuselage is composed primarily of spruce with 6061 as the engine and wing support material. Since the engine mounts and supports are designed to be made of 6061, I can't see as vibration would be an issue. The struts are also designed to be 6061, so I don't think that it has anything to do with compression and tension. The only thing that the spruce has going for it as far as I can see on matweb is the weight, which should be easy to fix using thinner aluminum.

I'm new at this, so my assumptions could be very wrong. Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, and/or dissuasions for me?
    Thanks for the help.
    -Eric

Registered User HumanPoweredDesigner's Avatar

Re: Substitute Spruce with 6061?

Quote Originally Posted by arctic_plasma View Post
    I'm looking to build an ultralight (Beaujon's Viewmaster if you're familiar with it). The fuselage is composed primarily of spruce with 6061 as the engine and wing support material. Since the engine mounts and supports are designed to be made of 6061, I can't see as vibration would be an issue. The struts are also designed to be 6061, so I don't think that it has anything to do with compression and tension. The only thing that the spruce has going for it as far as I can see on matweb is the weight, which should be easy to fix using thinner aluminum.

I'm new at this, so my assumptions could be very wrong. Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, and/or dissuasions for me?
    Thanks for the help.
    -Eric
    Sounds like a very big structural change you are contemplating, which would require posting the full structure and some materials guys looking over it for a while.

Still, I think it would be easier to attach metal to matal than metall to wood. Sounds like it is viable, but you'd have to make sure and o it right.

Oh, and I think wood also has price going for it. Maybe the wood won't carry vibrations in the same frequency that the metal vibrates at, so it will be more quiet.

+ Reply to Thread