• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Substitute Spruce with 6061?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arctic_plasma

I'm looking to build an ultralight (Beaujon's Viewmaster if you're familiar with it). The fuselage is composed primarily of spruce with 6061 as the engine and wing support material. Since the engine mounts and supports are designed to be made of 6061, I can't see as vibration would be an issue. The struts are also designed to be 6061, so I don't think that it has anything to do with compression and tension. The only thing that the spruce has going for it as far as I can see on matweb is the weight, which should be easy to fix using thinner aluminum.

I'm new at this, so my assumptions could be very wrong. Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, and/or dissuasions for me?
Thanks for the help.
-Eric

Back