• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Tip stall and highly tapered wings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Autodidact

I found a couple of papers that seem (to me) to give a pretty good "picture in the mind" explanation of why highly tapered wings have tip stall problems. From what I can discern (caveat), it appears that, to put it simply, the area of a highly tapered wing toward the tip becomes progressively "too small" to carry its fair share of the spanwise lift requirement even with the effects of outward boundary layer flow effectively decreasing (edit: wrong, see Norman's post) the angle of attack, tip vortices, and washout. No doubt it's more complex but this seems to be the basic gist.
The MIT paper also suggests that although Reynolds numbers are not the cause of this phenomenon, they do exacerbate it and I wonder if that is why the tip stall problem is more acute for smaller aircraft?
Pic 1 is the MIT paper and pics two and three are also a good (and simple)explanation of the problem as it applies to VERY small aircraft:

Attachments

• wing_taper_considerations.jpg
    wing_taper_considerations.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 6,323
  • crude_expl_ tipstall01.jpg
    crude_expl_ tipstall01.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 1,282
  • crude_expl_ tipstall02.jpg
    crude_expl_ tipstall02.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,042
Last edited:
Back