• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

ground adjustable propeller efficiency

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gschuld

I have been thinking about ground adjustable propellers lately. In the quest for a small, lightweight, 100-120hp fast two seater, propeller efficiency is certainly a factor. The idea of being able to taylor the pitch of a ground adjustable prop to the plane is appealing. It allows the ability to fine tune the pitch setting depending on the aircraft's role if one was so inclined(flying locally fairly heavily loaded, flying longer distanes solo at a greatly reduces gross weight, going from a 100hp engine to a 120hp engine, etc).

One logistical issue I have come across is the tendency for the root section of the ground adjustable blades to be, well, round in cross section and projecting an unfavorable profile a good ways out from the spinner. Below is a prop, presumably an ultralight style prop based on the size of the hub, with what looks to be a solid attempt to produce a reasonably good airflow section just beyond the hub.

image16081.jpg

I suppose that these are custom blades made by Craig Catto, judging by the stickers anyway. I have seen all composite prop blades that neck down from round VERY quickly for ground adjustable props. Obviously, a similar style hub/blade combination suitable for an 0-200 or a corvair would require a larger hub, and therefore a greater overall diameter for the transition from "ugly" to decent airflow. Ideally, I would want a ground adjustable prop that would have a favorable blade cross section by the time it exits the spinner. So I am wondering whether this is feasible without needing to run a absurdly large spinner. If it is feasible, I would be willing to spend a decent amount for a really nice set of efficient composite blades and the best hub out there.
2e_assembly.jpg

Sensenich Propeller Manufacturing Company - Lancaster, PA

This is a fairly recently introduced Sensenich design. The hub for this 0-200 model is as compact as a hub can be. Say with a 13" spinner, the cross section might not look too bad just outside the spinner face. hmmm

George

Last edited:
Back