• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Defiant, twin engine, but fixed props. How?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcjon77

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has insight on how the defiant can maintain a good single engine climb (better than most factory twins) when it is using fix pitch, non-feathering propellers. It seems to be the only twin I know (other than the aircam) that can do that.

I have three possible reasons. Some, none, or all may be contributing factors.
1) centerline thrust. The running engine doesn't have to work as hard because it is not compensating for adverse yaw caused by a stopped engine.
2) good power to weight ratio. The defiant has a weight to horsepower ratio of about 9/1. Whereas other twins, with the same engines have ratios closer to 12/1
3) The fixed props don't flatten out like C/S non-feathering props during an engine out, resulting in less drag. This was the suggestion given to me on the defiant mailing list.

Any other reasons you guys can give me would be helpful. I am asking, because I am working on a design for a twin that should be about the same size as the defiant, but made out of metal (think of a MUCH smaller version of the adam A500).

Any help would be appreciated.

Back