• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wing Taper - rationale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zk-jkw

I was hoping I could promote some discussion on the topic of wing taper.

My design currently uses a taper ratio of 0.6 and I am curious why you dont see more of it in other designs?

The way I see it is
Pros: Increased efficiency and better looks
Cons: Tip stall and increased wing structure complexity

So is the occurrence of tip stall that bad, that the efficiency isn't worth it?
In theory isn't this managed/minimised by the choice of aerofoil with appropriate characteristics?

Having never experienced a tip stall how different is this from a wing drop stall which can occur even a hershey bar wing? (and therefore the average pilot is trained for)

Just curious...

Back