+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wing rebuild

wing rebuild

hello Bruce ,Seb, Dan and all you knowledgable folks. Its good to be back to seek knowledge so I can progress with my project which means alot to me.this forum is an amazing medium with you learned fellas all ways willing to share .I,d like to learn about rebuilding my scrap cessna 150 wings.It has damages cause by resting heavy engine parts etc on it . dented skins , a few crushed ribs , bent and corroded(spar stiffener) spar. How do I go about effecting these repairs.I thought about the search button but i prefer to hear from the experts first. I am aware of a jig. This holds the wing in place whilst it is being built. And its angles. learnt this from BB.I would really like to llearn the most as possible of this subject, from you fellas and from your sources. Thanks for your patience and comments.
    Jerry

Re: wing rebuild

My most most basic advice - do one wing at a time. Don't disassemble the other wing, that way always have a reference to go back to. It's tempting to think you'll remember how everything goes back together, but believe me, it's a lot easier this way.

And take lots of pictures.
    "Aeronautical engineering is highly educated guessing, worked out to five decimal places. Fred Lindsley, Airspeed."

thanks for that reminder PT. I have a tendency to get caught up. So I,ll work on one wing at a time. any advice on how to start this. I,ve used a drill and very carefully grind off alot of rivet heads without troubling the bores and took off some skins. If these are in good condition can they be reused? Is building a jig the next move? The measurement from the better wing can be used to build the jig? I,m using common sense and the knowledge i,ve gain from this forum to take this feat on.Glad for more info and advice. Tell the others PT. I,ll be using the search engine here but would like hear from the rest of the panel.Sincerely Jerry.

Jerry, if you are looking for expert advice, that would definitely not be me. Again, I would start with FAA AC43.13 as a reference.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by planecrazy J View Post
    hello Bruce ,Seb, Dan and all you knowledgable folks. Its good to be back to seek knowledge so I can progress with my project which means alot to me.this forum is an amazing medium with you learned fellas all ways willing to share .I,d like to learn about rebuilding my scrap cessna 150 wings.It has damages cause by resting heavy engine parts etc on it . dented skins , a few crushed ribs , bent and corroded(spar stiffener) spar. How do I go about effecting these repairs.I thought about the search button but i prefer to hear from the experts first. I am aware of a jig. This holds the wing in place whilst it is being built. And its angles. learnt this from BB.I would really like to llearn the most as possible of this subject, from you fellas and from your sources. Thanks for your patience and comments.
    Jerry
    Hello Jerry
    I have re-skinned a few Cessna wings and this is my advice. They have to be supported in three places and very rigid I might add. I do them standing up with the TE up. I bolt the root to a beam in my hanger then I use the frame of my press that I bolt to the floor at the strut attach area and then I have a steel frame that I bolt to the tip rib and the floor. Mind you all three stations have attachments to the wing at the main spar and TE spar. Once youv'e jigged it like this you can remove as many skins as you like. The rest is basic sheetmetal work.
    If you need stringers you will have to get them from Cessna don't bother calling Kentucky roll form they won't sell them to you even though they make them, I tried.
    Good luck
    We the unwilling led by the unqualified have been doing the impossible now for so long with so little we now feel it's possible to do anything with nothing.

http://www.azairframe.com/index.html

No problem Bruce .I,ve downloaded 43.13 and don,t know if I missed it but didn,t come across any info on carrying out exactly that sort of repair. I,ll recheck. thanks Vortilon for your contribution and making it sound so simple. You said the root is bolted to a beam but i,m sure meant a column cause a beam is situated horizontally, right. The LE is downwards and probably at a practical height from the ground to make work easy. Your press and the steel frame are other anchoring points. So a jig can be made from steel pipes or square sections and is what holds the wing in its correct shape to be built accordingly, correct ? Here are some additional questions.
    1. Can the strongest pulled rivets replace the solid rivets?
    2. Is it the skins riveted perfectly that holds the wing in that shape?
    Welcoming and grateful for any advice . PT whats that craft you,re showing off there? Jerry

You need a way to hold the wing upright as Vortilon said. The jig (I made mine with welded 2" steel pipe) must hold the wing root end at the main and rear spar bolt holes. The other end holds the wing tip rib at the correct angle. A small support might be needed at the middle, it just depends on how many skins are removed.

I have flattened the old skins and made new skins by drilling small #40 pilot holes using the old skin as a pattern. Do not use the old skins, aluminum is cheap. Cleco the new skin in place. You might need to use the next size larger rivets. The skins hold the shape. Otherwise you can buy skins from cessna with holes.

Solid rivets are best, but you will need much practice to get good results.

The Cessna manual shows how to get correct washout at the tip. The wing is held straight (plum) from the root out to the strut attach rib.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by planecrazy J View Post
    No problem Bruce .I,ve downloaded 43.13 and don,t know if I missed it but didn,t come across any info on carrying out exactly that sort of repair. I,ll recheck. thanks Vortilon for your contribution and making it sound so simple. You said the root is bolted to a beam but i,m sure meant a column cause a beam is situated horizontally, right. The LE is downwards and probably at a practical height from the ground to make work easy. Your press and the steel frame are other anchoring points. So a jig can be made from steel pipes or square sections and is what holds the wing in its correct shape to be built accordingly, correct ? Here are some additional questions.
    1. Can the strongest pulled rivets replace the solid rivets?
    2. Is it the skins riveted perfectly that holds the wing in that shape?
    Welcoming and grateful for any advice . PT whats that craft you,re showing off there? Jerry
    Jerry
    Yes I did mean the vertical beam or hanger support. I used it because I am lazy and don't want another jig taking up my floor space for years on end till the next Cessna wing job shows up.

As for the blind rivets replacing the solids the answer is a big NO. The FAA will make you remove them and shoot solids in there place. Solids are the strongest rivet you can install and a blind rivet is only exceptable in well you guessed it blind areas where you cannot get a bucking bar. The method for shooting them is to start at the leading edge of the skin and shoot spanwise working your way aft one row at a time laying the skin down as you go. Obviouly if the skin on the otherside is off you don't need to do this, just for the last skin to go on.

Ribs can be fabricated or purchased from Cessna, they are not bashful about price. Ribs will have to be fabricated from 2024-O formed and then heat treated to T-3. After making form blocks and purchasing a sheet of 2024-O forming and paying the heat treat company. you will soon realize Cessna price was not so bad.
    We the unwilling led by the unqualified have been doing the impossible now for so long with so little we now feel it's possible to do anything with nothing.

Ribs can be repaired in accordance with the Cessna manual. Pieces of scrap rib make good repair doublers. Any repair done as shown in the manual is approved. Scrap wings are usually easy to find after the wreckage is parted out. Nobody wants the old smashed wings.
    Another tip:
    You can make more inspection holes for access to finish the job. Just copy the standard Cessna hole.
    I would practice riveting on a scrap wing first. It is more difficult to repair a wing since the holes are somewhat oversize. (the old rivet expands the hole a bit)
    BB

Don't forget you are required to do a 337 for those rib repairs. Replacement ribs require only a log entry.

If these are spare wings that will sit around for a few years and then be sold or given away and then installed on a different airplane then this becomes a problem for someone down the road. I have seen this time and time again when someone brings an airplane in for annual and we find repairs inside a wing that the owner was not aware of and now we are the bad guys for wanting a 337 for the repairs. Do the right thing here to save some poor sap a thrashing down the road. There can be a civil penalty for failure to report.

http://forms.faa.gov/report_new.asp

I don't think Jerry is concerned about the form 337. He is rebuilding this in Guyana, South America.

Hello all . It feels good to be back. I was busy stripping away parts (seat tracks, pulleys , pitch control stick, rudder pedals,brake cylinder etc.) from the Cessna 150f fuselage so I can begin treating corrosion and get it primed.It feels good working on an aircraft even its a scrap. I can just imagine how you fellas feel that has built and flown your own.
    Relax Vortilon these wings are for my uncertified 150f project done on a poor mans budget but many thanks for your encouraging info. Most of my repairs would have to be done with the materials I can source here or from my neighbours like Suriname or Brazil. Solid rivets seams like alot of work but I,ll have to do it cause AC43.13 sez so. It also praised the mechanically locked rivets like the cherrymax,cherrylock,quicklok etc. It would have cool it these could have replace the original.
    Of course BB I,ll do lots of practicing before I,m ready to work on the wings. I guess I,ll have to practice how to get the rivets to expand to the correct fit . I,ll have to get the repair manual( = shop manual?).
    question 1. Would the manual have have the jig angles and detail wing repairs info?
    2. Is the same jig used to build a wing from scratch or a much complex one ,I guess?
    Once again you all have been great help in this 150f cause. glad for more answers and advice any time when ever you guys can oblidge.
    Sincerely ,Jerry.

The Cessna manual shows a method to get the wing twist set properly in any kind of jig.
    It is one or two pages, see if you can copy one from the mechanic at the local airport if he has one.
    Rebuilding a wing is beyond the usual work of most mechanics. Sure, you can do almost anything, but it requires the proper tools, manuals, parts, and experience.
    You should probably work as a mechanics assistant first before attempting an advanced wing repair or rebuild.

BB

Hello to all. Hoping everyones making good progress with their projects. I,ve started and hoping to finish in a few... years. BB I,ve downloaded the parts catalog and service manual for the 150f. Is the service manual and shop manual you spoke about the same ? I think my friend is more than mechanic and did extensive repairs to aircraft for over 15 yrs.So I would not be tackling this rebuild by myself although I thought of it, he he. I intent to learn as much as possible despite being a late starter. Thanks to fellas like you , bruce ,seb, dan, vort ,pt and the rest I,ve gain alot already.
    jerry

Yes, the service manual is the same as shop manual.
    Looks like you have what you need.
    Have fun. Let us know how it works.
    BB

+ Reply to Thread