• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Steerable Nose Gear Vs. Castering Nose Gear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Rigg

I'm debating which one to go with.

The steering nose gear is obvious superior in ground handling, and i have been studying the ch-601 nose gear, but there are a couple things i do not like about them. 1. The Nose Gear is directly connected to the rudder peddles, so if you bent the front gear on a landing, there is a possibility you will lose the ability to steer. 2. More complex (More weight)

The castering nose wheel has a couple concerns for me also. I have read about tendencies of the nose gears to dig in on the RV and collapse the nose gear. Ground handling would be a concern, do the brakes wear out quickly, nose wheel shimmy becoming a problem?

Any insight would be nice, I'm leaning to the steerable nose gear because all i fly are pipers and thats what I'm use too.

Last edited:
Back