• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Plain vs. split flaps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addaon

Supporting Member
I've been thinking about split flaps vs. plain flaps for my flying wing design. I haven't been able to get enough information about split flaps to make a sane decision. Thoughts?

Pro-plain flaps:
• Well-understood
• Moment easiest to estimate (for pitch-neutral flap application)
•*Quite effective
• Low drag at moderate deflections, so usable for takeoff (reducing ground angle)
•*Max lift at sane (45° or so) deflections

Anti-plain flaps:
• Another complete airfoil to build

Pro-split flaps:
•*Lower moment, allowing slightly bigger flaps (but estimates are hard to come by)
•*Higher max lift for landing
•*Lower moment (according to Raymer; can this be confirmed?)
•*Lower drag for a given lift (I find this really hard to believe... confirmation?)
•*Potentially easier to construct (pre-made sandwich surface?)
•*Volume above split flap is small but useful (fuel lines from tanks to engine without going through fuselage, etc)
• Gain effectiveness with thicker airfoils, like the ones being used

Anti-split flaps:
• Max lift at insane (60° or so) deflections
•*Higher drag? Maybe? Maybe not?
• No way to balance surface... ridiculous actuators needed? Flutter concerns?
• I'd imagine much dirtier air behind them than plain flaps... pusher prop efficiency? Prop fatigue?

Back