+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: twin boom pusher plans

Unhappy twin boom pusher plans

are there any plans built twim boom pusher design available to homebuilder? it could be composite or metal.

Re: twin boom pusher plans

Why specifically do you want a twin boom pusher?

-Dana

Everyone who lives dies; yet not everyone who dies, has lived.

Gene Turner's T-100D (single seat U/L, mostly wood and fabric) is available as a plans-built...
    Plans available here: Adams Aero - T-100D Mariah
    Yahoo! group here: T-100_Mariah_Club : T-100 Mariah Club
    Roy Etter

Wasn't somebody building a Vampire replica?
    Great minds discuss ideas
    and mediocre minds speak of events
    While small minds talk about people.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Why specifically do you want a twin boom pusher?
    becuase i need a non-canard pusher design that leaves me either twin boom pusher or mid engine pusher. issues with mid engine configuration has scared me away (difficulty with engine installation and cooling, pitch sensitivity). single boom pusher can also do but they are very rare as i can see it.

What do you mean by "mid engine"? Engine over the wing, like the Kolbs? They're single boom pushers...

But what are your other requirements? Fast, slow, number of seats, range, etc.?

-Dana

The early bird catches the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    What do you mean by "mid engine"?
    I think he's talking about something similar to Gray's project, you know engine in the middle of the plane.

Seb
    Amor Patriae Nostra Lex

"Time, training, training, training and more training is the key to any success."
    Francis "Gabby" Gabreski

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah650 View Post
    becuase i need a non-canard pusher design
    What's wrong with canard pushers, Berkut with 200 HP engine, has a top speed above 200 kts, range 2000nm with aux tanks.

issues with mid engine configuration has scared me away (difficulty with engine installation and cooling,
    Difficulties with engine instalation?
    It's for sure harder task than a "conventional" design, but it isn't impossible. Who said that designing, buliding planes is easy.

Cooling?
    It's easier to use water cooled engine, than air-cooled. Everything what you need is a proper radiator under belly, similar to Mick Long Ez. (attachment 1, 2)
    Mick Duckt N7XR
    Of course you need to do some calculations and tests/experiments.

Seb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails twin boom pusher plans-oilcooler2.jpg   twin boom pusher plans-prop3.jpg  
    Amor Patriae Nostra Lex

"Time, training, training, training and more training is the key to any success."
    Francis "Gabby" Gabreski

Er, Cheetah650;

have you looked at the American PatriotII aircraft? I don't know if they offer plans, however, their aircraft is definitely a twin-boom. See: American Patriot Aircraft :: Home

Fly safe,
    MalcolmW

Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmW View Post
    have you looked at the American PatriotII aircraft?
    Thanks Malcolm - I hadn't seen that one before. I'll add that to my collection.

As far as I know, the T-100D is the only twin boom pusher that's currently available as plans-built. I'd love to be wrong since I really like the look - and it makes it soooo much easier to pretend I'm flying a P-38 My favorite design is the ION (Ion Aircraft), but their plan is to only sell it as a kit and, based on the "completeness" of the planned kit, I'm currently assuming that it's way out of my budget league Still drooling, though.

To cheetah650: I would wonder, though... What is the "flying mission" for which you want a twin-boom pusher?
    Roy Etter

Don't forget the option of a boomless, tailless pusher! 'course, there don't seem to be many of those out there yet. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by etterre View Post
    ...My favorite design is the ION (Ion Aircraft), but their plan is to only sell it as a kit and, based on the "completeness" of the planned kit, I'm currently assuming that it's way out of my budget league Still drooling, though....
    While I absolutely agree that the ION is a neat, pretty airplane, that project seems to be grinding to a halt over the last year or so. Web updates are less frequent and less positive - and more vague - and I read about them doing some rather major redesign work. New wing?

From the point of view of an outside spectator, they have the appearance of a group that "can't let go of the design", and will keep tweaking it endlessly until their money runs out. I may be 100% wrong in that, but they had first flight going on two years ago, and still haven't started setting up the manufacturing, customer support, and marketing areas of their business. In other words, they've got about twenty percent of the work in setting up their business actually done, in the form of a flying airplane.

I wish them well. The market could use some new blood.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry James Thoreau
    Design Project: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider
    Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    While I absolutely agree that the ION is a neat, pretty airplane, that project seems to be grinding to a halt over the last year or so. Web updates are less frequent and less positive - and more vague - and I read about them doing some rather major redesign work. New wing?
    More vague? Less frequent? That's possible?

I hadn't heard about any redesign work or a new wing...they are switching engines, though (for the third? time) I'd be curious to hear more about them (here or pm or new thread or whatever). The only "news" I ever see is from the Yahoo! group... and it's always from one guy... and he's never very talkative. As far as I know, the wing structure hasn't changed. It's still an aluminum wing, but bonded instead of riveted.

My fear with them has always been that they'd get a prototype (or two) flying, sell some kits (somewhere between 5 and 50), and then fold for any one of a hundred different reasons (new "51% rule", too many LSA designs, ran out of money, couldn't build kits quickly enough, etc.). They've done a lot of work and it seems like the design is solid, so it would be a shame to see the design die... but I'm not confident that they'll still have a viable business by the time I have enough cash saved up to do anything.
    Roy Etter

Check their website. The new wing is (passingly) mentioned in the September 2008 update.

And yes, I share your concerns. They've got a neat product, to all appearances, but are being rather typical engineers in that they seem to be tweaking it over and over again, and not settling down to the process of actually starting the company. That's a huge project in and of itself. Probably as massive, overall, as designing the aircraft and building the prototype.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry James Thoreau
    Design Project: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider
    Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    Check their website. The new wing is (passingly) mentioned in the September 2008 update.
    Ahhh $#!+ Now I see it. I remember that, at the time, Steve was going on and on about wing-tips. So I probably skimmed over it and saw "new wing tips" instead of "new wings."

Now I'm really bummed : Maybe someday I'll get to see the prototype fly...
    Roy Etter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast