+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: twin boom pusher plans

Re: twin boom pusher plans

Quote Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
    Oh I don't know that they won't find some buyers. To my eye, that's just about the prettiest LSA I've ever seen... and I don't even like twin booms...
    It wasn't irony, I really wish them luck but for that money I would rather buy unfinished Berkut kit (pic 1) or maybe even new Zodiac 650 (pic2).

that's just about the prettiest LSA I've ever seen
    In my opinion Gray's project looks much better but of course it's only project at the moment.

Seb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails twin boom pusher plans-pods154.jpg   twin boom pusher plans-n601wd-2.jpg  
    Last edited by Mac790; January 17th, 2009 at 04:12 PM. Reason: edit
    Amor Patriae Nostra Lex

"Time, training, training, training and more training is the key to any success."
    Francis "Gabby" Gabreski

This aircraft has an interesting history, including being almost bought by the Chinese in order for it to be put into kit production. But for some reason everyone who was interested in developing it for retail sales either in kit or certified form, seemed to think it was covered in gold (the prices were downright ridiculous).

The current configuration certainly has appeal (although it could use a bit of aesthetic work to make it less bulbous) but since the proportions have never really changed from the original, I'd have significant reservations regarding its yaw stability and ability to recover from a spin. Low aspect ratio tails tend to be relatively ineffective, even with significant areas so to me, this somewhat enlarged version of the original just seems to be a bit on the marginal side.

Then, add to that the effect of the windmilling prop (blanketed horizontal) and the pilot just might be in for an interesting time, just when he needs to have everything working just right.
    "To live is to learn; to learn is to live" (author unknown)

Here's a couple:

This was one builder's solution to the BD-5 engine dilemma

and this is someone's version of a self launch sailplane and a shortwing version of the same (Aircraft, www.ReactionResearch.com)

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah650 View Post
    because i need a non-canard pusher design that leaves me either twin boom pusher or mid engine pusher. issues with mid engine configuration has scared me away (difficulty with engine installation and cooling, pitch sensitivity). single boom pusher can also do but they are very rare as i can see it.

It doesn't have to have twin booms to be a pusher. Have you seen the Woody Pusher or the Mini-Imp?

PS - sorry about the size of the pictures.

Bruce

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails twin boom pusher plans-wil-1.jpg   twin boom pusher plans-kminiimp.gif   twin boom pusher plans-aria2.jpg  

twin boom pusher plans-acapella.jpg   twin boom pusher plans-aria.jpg  

Orion,
    How far forward of the horizontal tail does the propeller have to be on a plane like the Vampire to keep the disturbed air coming from the windmilling propeller from disrupting the airflow on the tail?
    If a pusher propeller is close to the trailing edge of the wing will it disturb the air forward of the prop when windmilling?
    I am starting to see why tractor type engine installations are so common.

The original ultralight Vampire was as cool looking as an ultralight can get... LSA is a whole different ballgame, not only are there a lot of sleek, attractive LSA's (not that I'd care to shell out the kind of cash they cost), the LSA Vampire somehow loses the attractive lines of the ultralight.

-Dana

Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them?

Quote Originally Posted by plncraze View Post
    How far forward of the horizontal tail does the propeller have to be on a plane like the Vampire to keep the disturbed air coming from the windmilling propeller from disrupting the airflow on the tail?
    Actually, quite a ways. This is why many airplanes that use this configuration end up with rather sizable tails or learn to live with the limitations. I remember when Powers and Bashforth were developing the MiniMaster - it was discovered that with the aft engine windmilling the airplane had to come in quite fast to land otherwise it didn't have sufficient elevator to flare. Given that that particular airplane was initially somewhat nose heavy, this resulted in a relatively high landing speed. The standard procedure became to either stop the prop or keep a bit of power on into the flare.

And the same holds true for the full sized 337 as well as virtually all the airplanes that utilize this configuration.

The trick then is to come up with a combination of distance and position to minimize this effect. Personally, I like putting the horizontal on top of the verticals, preferably above the prop disk. While that does not necessarily totally alleviate the problem (at high aoa you still get a bit of blanketing), it does tend to be much better than putting it directly aft.

Putting it below the prop disk is generally considered to be a better approach but rarely does that deliver an attractive configuration (at least to my eye).

Quote Originally Posted by plncraze View Post
    If a pusher propeller is close to the trailing edge of the wing will it disturb the air forward of the prop when windmilling?
    I've never seen any evidence of this phenomenon but it might be argued that due to the flow's compressibility (things can be felt upstream), the windmilling prop might (heavy emphasis on the "might") trigger a slight level of boundary layer instability on one side of the wing, causing early and non-symmetrical separation. But as I said, I have not seen any direct evidence of this behavior.
    "To live is to learn; to learn is to live" (author unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by bmcj View Post
    It doesn't have to have twin booms to be a pusher. Have you seen the Woody Pusher or the Mini-Imp?
    I fell in love with MiniImp when i first saw it. Those people need to understand that market for single place aircraft is very limited. It's against human nature. One of the most fundemental human instincts is sharing good moments and excitement with a loved one.

Plans and plane still for sale. US$19,000

The drawing is what we had intended to redesign the fuselage to, if we had kept the project.

The wings are swept back 16 degrees.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails twin boom pusher plans-kingfisher-superimposing-5.jpg   twin boom pusher plans-kingfisher-2x.jpg   twin boom pusher plans-kingfisher-11x.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah650 View Post
    I fell in love with MiniImp when i first saw it. Those people need to understand that market for single place aircraft is very limited. It's against human nature. One of the most fundemental human instincts is sharing good moments and excitement with a loved one.

I absolutely agree! I think that is one of the reasons that the EAA Young Eagles program has been so successful.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by bmcj View Post
    I absolutely agree! I think that is one of the reasons that the EAA Young Eagles program has been so successful.

Bruce
    Most definitely. But you also have to keep in mind that there are experimental airplanes... and then there are EXPERIMENTAL airplanes. From the looks, it seems as though the Mini-Imp was of the latter category. Some planes should be kept single place.. at least until the kinks are worked out of some of the more difficult areas. Curtis didn't start with the Pitts S2. Van didnt start with the RV6. Rand Robinson didn't start with the KR2. And all for good reason!

I think it makes a lot of sense to start with single seat planes. If the demand is there for a single seat, you can be very confident that a two seater will garner even more attention... not a bad position to be in... much better than having a marginal unproven 2-seater to start out with... the Lancair excepted of course...
    Great minds discuss ideas
    and mediocre minds speak of events
    While small minds talk about people.

Yep. There's a reason I'm doing my flying wing single seat for the first version... I wouldn't be terribly comfortable asking anyone else to get in it with me. But I'm designing, constantly, with the idea towards a second version with a second seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
    Plans and plane still for sale. US$19,000

The drawing is what we had intended to redesign the fuselage to, if we had kept the project.

The wings are swept back 16 degrees.
    Blackhawk, can you elaborate on design details? structures specifications etc.

Canopy looks like cold folded rather than blown.

Formerly Unknown Target Inverted Vantage's Avatar

Most definitely. But you also have to keep in mind that there are experimental airplanes... and then there are EXPERIMENTAL airplanes. From the looks, it seems as though the Mini-Imp was of the latter category. Some planes should be kept single place.. at least until the kinks are worked out of some of the more difficult areas. Curtis didn't start with the Pitts S2. Van didnt start with the RV6. Rand Robinson didn't start with the KR2. And all for good reason!

I think it makes a lot of sense to start with single seat planes. If the demand is there for a single seat, you can be very confident that a two seater will garner even more attention... not a bad position to be in... much better than having a marginal unproven 2-seater to start out with... the Lancair excepted of course...
    Easier said than done when it comes to extremely limited funds As someone who's taken a huge awesome super duper airplane and simplified it into quite literally a box with wings, the one thing I would not want to sacrifice is the two seater capacity...if it ever does fly, I'd want to share it with someone else, and I might not have the funds for a good while to build another plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Target View Post
    Easier said than done when it comes to extremely limited funds As someone who's taken a huge awesome super duper airplane and simplified it into quite literally a box with wings, the one thing I would not want to sacrifice is the two seater capacity...if it ever does fly, I'd want to share it with someone else, and I might not have the funds for a good while to build another plane.
    Well, are you pushing the envelope, or are you building within the norm? For instance, no doubt, someone could build a Cub-type airplane as a two-seater. A flying wing is a different beast. Also, the presence of two seats doesn't require you to have someone with you...

But it does complicate the process.. and it does lead to temptation. I ride motorcycles and when I started, that was the toughest thing. There was a cute girl.. and I had two seats... but I was a new rider. I knew I shouldn't... but dang... she was cute... odds are, nothing was going to happen... I'd take it slow... Temptation arises.

Nothing wrong with starting out two place, but you do have to appreciate the complication it adds to the design... and the risks of human factors (such as horny-ness, for example) creeping in...

I'm just saying...
    Great minds discuss ideas
    and mediocre minds speak of events
    While small minds talk about people.

Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmW View Post
    It was an aircraft by the name of 'SkyMaxx' made in Germany, and I believe the US sales representative was Oxford Aviation. For a picture of this craft, see: Artikel drucken - Sky-Maxx. A very special aircraft There were other sites, but most have been taken down.
    Interesting... My first thought was "hmm, a Metal Airaile" More info here: RANS Aircraft Page It's a kit, but Ran's is one of the few manufacturer's that I'd be willing to bet will stay open for the next 10 years.

I must admit, this thread has covered quite a few aircraft that have interested me at one time or another (Edgely Optika, Sadler Vampire, Laminaire, etc.), so I'll throw out three more: the Snark http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/fo...html#post21985, Janowski's J1-B Janowski Aircraft Page, and the ORKA EM-11 Orka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

None of them is terribly practical for you - the Snark was essentially a one-off design with a few copies in Australia and New Zealand. The J1-B is a one-seater and it isn't officially available anymore. The Orka is a twin and it was intended for production (no kits or plans).

But one of them might give you more ideas to pursue...

Last thoughts: If you're really serious about "speed doesn't matter" then take a real hard look at the various "2-seat ultralight trainers" like the RANS Airaile or the Challenger II or the Kolb Mk III or the .... Almost all of them would have the visibility you're looking for. But they would have to be purchased as either a kit from the manufacturer, a completed used airframe, or a partially completed kit. If your goal with plans-building is to save money by spending more time, then wander over to Airplanes & Aircraft Parts For Sale - Free Classified Ads - Ultralights to Airliners - Used Aircraft and Helicopter Sales and Classifieds including Cessna, Beechcraft, Piper, de Havilland, Boeing, Airbus and Lockheed planes and do a search with your price range I just found this Challenger II http://www.barnstormers.com/listing.php?id=303504 that may be a good buy for you at $9500 (if it has an N number). I have seen partially completed kits pop up there from time to time as well.
    Roy Etter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast