• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

6061 vs 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GESchwarz

Until very recently it was my understanding that all aluminum aircraft structures are of 2024. I have sence learned that 6061 is used here and there, and not just in areas where there are welds.

Given that 6061 is 2/3 the strength of 2024, where is 6061 most often used?

Could I get away with using 6061 for all my skins without increasing the thickness by 1/2 to match the strength of the 2024?

FYI, I will be bonding my skins to the airframe using a two-step process of applying Proseal to the substrate using a very fine tooth (80 tpi) trowel (hack saw blade). Let that set up for a day. Then prior to mating, apply a coat of Hysol epoxy over both Proseal surfaces, then mate. This hybrid joint has proven to to be superior to a Hysol joint in peel strength, and superior to Proseal in lap shear strength, but not superior to Hysol in lap shear; but that's okay, because if the Hysol joint fails in peel (unzip), all the lap shear in the world won't help you.

The only places where I will be riveting the skins to the airframe will be at certain edges where the bond line would most likely start to peel. A typical location would be where the bondline is plainar, as opposed to around a curved rib or former where a bondline is virtually unable to "unzip". Some would call these "cheater rivets", I just call it good design.

So given that in the bonded areas where there are no stress concentrations associated with rivet joints, can I afford to go with 6061 in place of 2024?

Back