• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Structural question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addaon

Supporting Member
I haven't gotten to the point of doing structural analysis on my design, but I'm slowly figuring out how structural issues will impact the overall concept. For most homebuilts similar to my design, the wing structure seems to be two spar (30% and 70% of chord, say), with the front spar having a bending beam carry-through and the rear spar having bolts to transfer lift and wing torsion, but not span-wise bending. Presumably the front spar is taller (thicker airfoil at 30% chord) than the rear spar, so having it carry the major loads only makes sense.

But. I'm realizing that due to bulkhead placement, my overall design gets much simpler if I can having a bending beam carry-through on the rear spar and have the front spar just be bolted. What are the gotchas here? Is it possible? Is there a way to transfer some of the loads from the front spar to the rear spar near the fuselage, so the front spar can still be the main structural member in most of the wings? Does having a swept-back wing effect things at all?

Back