• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Shrouded prop for static lift?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
I am looking for the best way to produce static lift as a means to enhance slow flight.

I have several books about ducted fans. The books all say a ducted fan has more STATIC thrust than the same size unducted prop. The Hiller flying platform Hiller Aviation & Museum | Exhibits is the only example of a ducted fan for static thrust that I know of.
The Hiller platform claims to get 40% of the thrust from the large radius bellmouth intake design and 60% from the props. (see website) The large intake is good for static lift but would add much drag in the case of normal high speed propulsion. I only want static lift.

Is the Hiller claim likely to be correct? And why?

P.S I found some past comments by searching this forum, from orion, about the definition of ducted fans and shrouded props. ( a duct length less than half the prop diameter would be called a shroud) So the Hiller platform is a shrouded prop by that definition.
BB

Edit: I found this interesting paper that seems to apply to my question:http://4wings.com.phtemp.com/lib/files/Raspet_c.pdf

Attachments

• platform-4-133.gif
    platform-4-133.gif
    15.4 KB · Views: 2,855
Last edited:
Back