• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Master Cylinder Design Layout help needed.. long

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloudsipper

Live in SouthWestern Colorado at 5300' ASL
I'm replacing the master cylinder on my Taifun motorglider. The current system uses a BMW motorcycle M/C (master cylinder) mounted behind the baggage compartment, about 2 feet down (not very accessible) The rubber diaphragm( it's a DOT-4 system) self destructed already, and one of the o-rings on a caliper failed. I'm trying to replace the entire system with a more conventional aircraft master cylinder (l Have a used M/C looks like a Cleveland model 10-5 (id plate missing) and has a parking brake lever)
The current linkage uses a bellcrank at the end of the Spoiler(Airbrake) pushrod travel. I don't think I want to crawl back and try to use it. The Spoiler lever has about a 15" rearward travel and I'd like to put the brake at the last 3 or 4 inches of deployment. The spoilers, flaps, and trim controls are in a central console (about 18" deep) made of fiberglass/foam sandwich. see attached pic.
A couple of troublesome areas:
1)Fabricating and installing a mounting bracket to foam sandwich
2) Restricting the brake actuation to the final part of the spoiler lever travel.

On the fabrication side, do people cut up aluminum angle/ square tube, or do they weld up something in weldable steel? I believe the mechanical advantage of the brake lever needs to be around 2:1, with the actual M/C piston travel on the order of 1"- 1.5" . The calipers are standard Cleveland 30-9 5" caliper. (the O-rings are currently EPDM to withstand the DOT-4, but I will be replacing them with Nitrile/BUNA and changing the fluid to Mil-Spec 5606).
I would also love to hear about successful brake line flushing methods.. I'll be going from DOT-4 (Glycol based) to MilSpec 5606 Mineral oil based. I think I will try Acetone using the existing EPDM O-rings and then change everything after flushing.

Attachments

• 206756-cock_pit.jpg
    206756-cock_pit.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 335
Back