• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Mitchell U-2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wittmandriver

I have been reading with great interest in this section. I have not found, yet, much info on flying wings. Maybe I have not searched with the right terminology.

I am planning on purchasing plans for the Mitchell U-2. I have experience building a Hummel Bird (which I wrecked-whole different story) and restoration/refurbishment of a Wittman Tailwind with metal wings (Riblett airfoil), which I am flying. It is an efficient airplane, to say the least, as far as fast two-seaters go. Even now, I am feeling the crunch (I'd hate to have a REAL gas-guzzler with say, an O-520), and I have always liked efficient planes like the Hummel.

I'd like to build the U-2, but with a trist. Since it is kind of a motorglider, I would like to utilize electric power. I have found 3 aircraft so far on the net with electric power-the Electraflyer, the Flying Flea (ladder ultralight version), and another ultralight monowing aircraft...I forget what it was called. My goal is 2 hours of flight with engine/gliding. I think flying wings would be best-suited for this, but there are almost no designs out there to build. Is anybody doing something like this right now on this forum?

Thanks,

Jerry
N90086

Back