• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Steel sprung front gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtfm

Hi guys,
I've been considering the possibilities for my front gear. Traditional tricycle front gear legs tend either to be a braced oleo strut ot some sort of spring/bungy arrangement. In either case, it seems quite complex, with many moving parts and quite heavy.

I'm considering using a solid front gear leg fixed to a steel spring which one would attach to the firewall (or in my case, to the front extension of the Strongback). I don't have a drawing handy, but the idea is quite simple: the steel spring (similar to what one would use for sprung main gear) is fixed to the firewall pointing forwards. At its far end, fix the gear leg. Add some lateral bracing lined with something like Polythene and you should have a zero moving parts, light-weight front gear.

Any comments on this?

Regards,
Duncan

Back