• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

new propulsion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLANEGUY

Ok my mind is always on the warpath when it comes to airplanes...
:ban::ban::ban:

So my latest brain storm is all about economy… Actually I have an old drawing of a ducted fan that looks cool but didn’t get any further than that. The idea came to me about using a single engine driving several constant speed props off of a single shaft. All the props are in a duct that is smaller at the end than at the beginning. Each of the props is pitched to a max torque setting. Much like a turbine engine the air passes each prop is accelerated and so on except there is no combustion or thermal expansion, just compression and acceleration. It struck me that it could be possible to create more thrust per hp. The part I’m really curious about is the theoretical performance of such a plane?

Then lightning struck and the next idea came to me. How about a small engine spin a generator and drive each prop off an independent electric motor. The problem seems to be the amount of electricity required to operate several powerful motors is quite large. Also a glance at the weights of commercial motors will turn your stomach. But If one could find several high power lightweight low draw motors it would seem that the idea could work. That is of course if the whole sequential ducted fan thing is viable also. Of course if the fuel cell develops maybe there is no need for the motor at all!!! The first green GA aircraft?

I see a purple return in that brain storm… For your safety take cover in low lying places immediately.;)

_travis

Back