• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Swept Away

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bityman

I read a thread on this forum the other day about swept wings. After chewing on Orion’s response for a few days, I thought out another question. Of course, now I can’t find the thread that I was reading, so I’m forced to start a new one.

This is where the details aircraft fundamentals really need to be clarified by an expert. I think that there’s been a good discussion of why swept wings, for the average home builder, are not necessary and just add complexity, but now the question is “what really constitutes a sweep?” I think everyone is acquainted with the idea of sweep, but is a tapered wing that maintains a trailing edge perpendicular (in plan form) to the fuselage center line, a swept wing (it woudl amount to a very elongated delta)?

Moreover, if a tapered wing is used, what is the best arrangement? Should the wing be symmetric front to rear (in plan form)? Should the leading edge be perpendicular to the fuselage center line (P-51) or the rear (something like an ME-262)? Or is it entirely determined by the thickest part of the wing in order to keep the spar as perpendicular the fuselage centerline as possible, so the mass moment of inertia of the spar is optimized/maximized by eliminating the twist that seems true sweep would impart. Most of the WWII warbirds used a wing with a near perpendicular leading edge, even thought the later fighters were flirting with trans-sonic speeds in dives. Was this because of airframe simplification, lack of understanding or some other reason?

Back