• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Three piece Box spar (E-glass)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northman

Greetings,

I am currently in the middle of a project, and am forced due to curcumstance to stray from the plans and instructions. Essentially, the plans call for a one piece spar of e-glass, over a 25 foot span. The wings become one piece when finished, and attach to the uderside of the fuselage through a cutout in a basically permanent fashion.

This scheme doesn't work for my needs. I had a long conversation with the plane's designer, and he agreed that a three piece spar could be done. Basically, spar has a 10 foot center span, with 7.5 foot extensions.

Both the inboard center spar and outboard spar are of box construction. Basically, the outboard sections are going to be built first, and the inboard section will be built around a 2.5 foot section of the outboard spar, so that a tight interface exists to transfer the load to the root.

What I'm looking for is a good suggestion on how to attach the two sections. The friction fit will do for transfering load, but what's a good way to secure it? The outboard wing will mate with a stub wing.

Since composites are poor in compression, what's the best way to keep the two spars held together?

Last edited:
Back