+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rohr 2-175

Rohr 2-175

I saw this plane in a three view some years ago and I come back to it frequently in my thoughts as a great design. Compared to all the other "take home" airplanes this one seems like it really could be loaded on a trailer at the
    end of the flying day. I have read De Piolenc's summary both in Contact! Magazine and on his website and seen the pics on the web but nothing more. In my mind it would be an excellent start to a Light Sport aircraft. Orion mentioned it once on this site in regards to flow control devices.
    Does anyone have any additional info on this plane and any ideas why it has not been copied as a homebuilt?

Re: Rohr 2-175

The airplane you mention was anything but a lightweight. It was to be a two place trainer powered by a Lyc. O-360, driving a shrouded propeller. It was quite unique for its day (pre-1973) in that it used a very unique composite structure.

I used to work for General Dynamics, where I had the pleasure to meet and work with Mr. Walt Mooney, who was the designer on the project. As I have the story, there were two of these built as well as all the associated production tools - the first prototype had well over 100 flight hours on it and the other was just entering the flight test phase.

But in 1973 the company suffered severe financial setbacks on the Washington DC subway development and as such had to cancel the entire program. Not wanting their unique design and technology released publicly, the company decided to literally scrap the program. The two prototypes and all the tooling was cut up into small pieces and junked.

The program's principal designers did offer to take over the program privately but the company just wanted it to go away. It's too bad - it was a very unique design.
    "To live is to learn; to learn is to live" (author unknown)

Re: Rohr 2-175

Here is a great webstite about the Rohr 2-175:
    Rohr 2-175 Fan Jet

+ Reply to Thread