• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rutan Defiant canard question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nadt770

Anyone (Orion?) want to to take a crack at why the Defiant canard is such a larger percentage of total area than the other 4-place canard designs? Yes I know there is another engine up there. However couldn't you build, say a CozyIV with 2 engines and the standard canard as long as the cg was maintained the same as the single version? I'm wondering if it has to do with the effects of the prop slipstream acting on a smaller percentage of the total canard area. I'm guessing that the prop blowing on the canard might allow it to fly to a higher aoa and allow the rear wing to stall first. On the other hand might not the prop blowing on the canard give it more elevator effectivness to fly the plane out of a deep stall situation?

In case you haven't guessed by now I would like a smaller version of the Defiant (Baby Defiant:ponder: ) like Dave Ganzers old Gemini, for two corvair engines @120hp each. I have searched high and low for canard aircraft design criteria and have found very little. Any suggestions?

John

Back