• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

A Different Kind of Glider

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueGhost76

Ok, I have had this design idea in my head for a while now but because I'm not much of a physics person, I need somebody's educated opinion (academic or worldy experience) on whether it would be possbile.

Now, the design I have in mind is actually something I got from reading Harry Potter books and it made me wonder about constructing a glider based on some very basic principles of flight used in the books.

1) person resting on top of the glider and not hanging beneath it.

2) a glider small enough to be very versatial,

3) but still strong enough to carry the weight of a person

The design I have in mind also would extend and retract the wings by means of handle bars in order to control how much wind power would hold it in the air and how high.

I'm not sure what kind of materials would be needed to contrust this glider. I think it would have to be metalic and synthetic, both types needing to be as light as possible, but tough enough to handle powerful wind currents.

If anyone here has read the books or seen the movies, imagine someone sitting on a broom, then subtract the broom brissles and add in some retractable wings in front and a two handed handle bar aparatis for the hands to rest on and control it. I'm still mulling over ideas for wings that would be placed in the back so that the person isn't sinking from behind. More or less, I would like the glider to have as much aerodynamic versatility as those brooms in the books/movies.

I'm hoping someone here can share with me their thoughts on my idea. There are other variables I have not mentioned because I'm still figuring them out. But this is the overall concept of my design.

Back