• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Falco fuselage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBarron

Hello all,

I was looking at some construction pictures of the Falco all wood airplane and I've got a question about the aft end of the fuselage. From what I can see, the rear fuselage section consists of laminated formers and four longerons. Each former has one horizontal piece at what might be the center of the shape. This structure is then covered with light plywood and then fiberglassed.

So, do the longerons resist the stress forces in the horizontal and vertical directions and does the glass covered plywood skin absorb the twisting forces applied by the vertical and horizontal stabilizers? Or is the plywood only there to cover the internal structure which handles all the stress related forces by itself?

Also, it looks like there is a small baggage compartment behind the cockpit with an opening on the side of the plane. If the plywood/glass skin is meant to provide support is it ok to put a hole in it like that?

:confused:

Leland

Back