• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Laser and Plasma cutters/engravers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chlomo

I've seen a video on Youtube that describes a wing manufacturing process utilizing a 'cnc punch turret'.

However something tells me that gizmo is not the weapon of choice for most of us homebuilders; one might consider going laser or plasma.
That being said there are a lot of 50~60W laser engravers that can work 600mm * 400mm and cost somewhere around $5K. As for the plasma gadget I remember seeing frequent ads on Popular Mechanics a few years ago.
But before we talk about whether or not to buy one of those there seem to be some pros and cons to weigh regarding the technical aspects of those machines.

Accuracy: Laser is very accurate. Plasma maybe not as precise but we are not building F-22 planes here.
Cost: Obviously laser costs a lot more to cut(unless you own the machine) I've seen quotes of a few $s a minute for simple cuts.
Speed: Of negligible importance considering total build time

DOES PLASMA RUIN THE TEMPER OF ALUMINUM???

Last edited by a moderator:
Back