• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wing Stations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skier

I am currently inputting a wing into Rhino from a set of plans. The plans call out X, Y, WS, and %chord. This wing has 5.5 degrees of dihedral. Is the Wing Station typically measured in planview or is it typically measured along the wing's actual coordinate system? As a result, do I need to transfer the WS measurement by modifying it with the cos(dihedral) to get the actual x,y,z coordinates I want to use?

Along the same lines, should I assume that the airfoil section given with each X,Y,WS coordinate is supposed to be perpendicular to the spar, or vertical in the x,y,z coordinates? :confused:

Below is the wing with no dihedral, assuming the WS coordinate is the z coordinate. That is that the WS is unmodified for dihedral.

Wing.jpg

By the way, I just would like to add that Rhino is really nice for modeling surfaces such as this. It's much more user friendly than Catia/Unigraphics for this kind of modeling.

Back