• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Why is the gull wing hull the most preffered and used shape om most sea planes ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tunnels

china is my home , place of work but was born in N
Why is the gull winged hull shape used in so many planes ??

Why is the triangular shaped hull used in most smaller sport type planes ??
Is it a fashion thing ?? or is it the most efficient?? doesn't anyone want to break with tradition or upset the plane gods ?

I am at a loss to understand either of these shapes being used for any kind of hull that is used on the water !!!
At high speed the triangular shape with its narrow to needle point at the front and wide at the back and a shallow vee with last part of the planning surface turned downwards is completely suicidal !!.

The gull wing has very little actual lifting surface and pushes and fires huge amounts of water and spray out both sides as it slowly ploughs its way though the water until the wings have enough lift to drag I out the trench it making as it moves through the water .

Back