• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Is it possible to design my own plane?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iker

Is it possible to design and build your own plane if your not an engineer? I mean is this something that the average Joe can undertake?

Now, I can easily assume the building process as I am a aircraft strctural maintenance tech by trade and work with your common aluminums, steels, fiberglass, kevlar, graphite, boron and the like. However, I have never designed anything more than a paper airplane.

I also am aware that there are CAD systems somewhere out there and that is how modern commercial aircraft are made...but can the average homebuilder afford such software?

So, does one just stick with plans and kits? Or can he venture into the unkown and make something original?

Thank you for any help you can offer in this area.

Last edited:
Back