• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How to gather data on a flying wing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpainCub

Hi all, I am looking to gather data for a flying airplane. I'm able to currently gather data (albeit crude at the moment) for CP along the chord.
My plan was to divide a wing in 6 stations and place probes at 5,10,20,25,30,40,50,60,70,80,90% of chord. I was thinking of building up pipes to the probe with a manual feed to set the station at which I will gather this data from (simple plumbing). I currently have 6 of these units and would be getting another 4.

2011-1-7--10-44-32-542-264.jpg

I am currently playing with these here to capture the pressure changes... I bought them for my own wind tunnel build... but at scale they seem to have a higher level of variance that makes it nearly impossible (for me) to calibrate for 10-20% model airfoils in preliminary test.

I'm hoping to gather enough data to calculate Cl_max on flight with a poor mans AoA indicator that will be calibrated at 0º AoA in reference to the airfoil.
Anyone have any ideas on how to calculate Cl_Max in flight since I don't have a force differentiator like on a wind tunnel?

Can I accurately get that data with Cl_Max=(a_z*W/ 1/2p*V^2S)? Any ideas?

Back