• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wings in Ground Effect - Orion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Orion - from your website you seem to have a lot of experience with WiG vehicles, and I have a question that might tap into that.

I have the option with my project of reducing weight by having a relatively short landing gear. My 'pod' is so short that I can still develop plenty of nose-up angle, even with the short gear.

My concern is that it places the lower surface of my (flying) wing rather close to the ground - about 0.33c-0.66c, depending on how short I want to go. Since 'up' elevator on my plane is the opposite of a conventional flap (my elevator goes 'up' for nose-up), am I likely to get a 'suckdown' force from the venturi-effect this might create? I'm running about +2 deg. incidence in ground-level attitude. Effective AR is 5.25 and the elevator is about 35% of the total span.

If this is a real concern, what's the practical lower limit (% chord) for placing the wing near the ground?

Thanks!

Back