• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

RTOL (Road Take Off and Landing)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holden

By popular demand by our distinguished HBA historian Aircar here: https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/...-roadable-aircraft-design-107.html#post187071

I hereby open a new thread that could shed light on how to land on a road. Please hold your potatoes, popcorn, and other food items you might want to toss my way. Put on your thinking caps and let's get down to business on the central most important issue facing GA airplanes...(drum roll please)

RTOL - Road take off and landing. This is in direct competition to ATOL, heavily promoted by Aircar and his supporters who can grasp what an ATOL actually looks like.

There are many topics that can be discussed. In general there are at least four types of roads. 1) Freeways or limited access roads of 4 or more lanes, 2) State roads as main city arteries, 3) neighborhood roads, and 4) dirt roads, low traveled roads, trails, and the famous outback that super cubs dominate.

Airplanes can be designed to use all four types of landing zones, or limited to one type. Each has rules, risks and challenges. Landing on a freeway, for example, with smooth concrete is quite different than landing on a cow trail with big rocks.

The only State in the USA that allows road landings is Alaska. That can change when a RTOL airplane of suitable design is built and proven out, likely in Alaska.

My discourse on the subject is well discussed in the above mentioned 107 page thread called roadable airplane design.

Open for comment... And then I will post detailed aspects of RTOL.

Holden

Back