• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Lift & conservation of energy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcrae0104

Supporting Member
Something has always puzzled me about lift: how is it possible that we can get more lift than drag out of a wing?

I think I understand lift when explained on a micro level--accelerating the air over the top drops the pressure (or we could look at it from the F=ma perspective with downwash) resulting in lift force.

But step back and look at it on a macro level. I put energy into my gas tank. If my engine and propeller are 100% efficient, that same amount of energy is turned into the work of overcoming drag. How is it possible that there is this "bonus" force of lift? Put another way, if I spend 10 units of energy on induced drag, how is it that I get back more than 10 units in the work that is done during climb?

I think I am missing something really basic here, and based on all the simplistic (and incorrect) explanations of lift out there, I don't think most who claim to understand lift actually do. Can anyone help me understand how energy is conserved on this macro level?

Back