• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Flight theory question of a Zenith CH 701

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike J

Hi guys

I'm really confused by that Zenith 701 STOL airplane. I've read all the articles on the Zenith website but I'm confused about something and was wondering if somebody could explain it.

Power quits at say 2,000 ft AGL. So given this type of airplane and it's built in characteristics how does this play out? I would imagine it comes down pretty steep and fast yet it stalls slow and at unusual high AOA. Ok, so take the Sonex for example or maybe even a Midget Mustang. If the engine quits in these types of airplanes they also come down pretty fast but for different reasons. Glide ratio vs drag right?????

Now lets take a Cub. Big wing flys pretty slow etc. The engine quits and a guy has a few more options compared to a Sonex or a Mustang.

So as I look at all these different types of airplanes we have to pick from and then there's this CH701 with very unique capabilities I can't seem to figure out if a power out in a 701 would be worse or better than a different type? Maybe I just don't understand these STOL airplanes.

If the engine quits which airplane would you want to be in?

Mike

Back