• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

trying to find an engine to fit some dimensions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boggen

short story.
looking for an engine that will fit in approx 20" inches width x 20" inches height up to 13 feet long. produce any were from 100 to 600HP, low RPM's high torque, if possible intake air and exhaust ported to same side, to deal with some EPA doings. prefer diesel as a fuel of choice. but not necessary.

the engine will be directly connected to a generator and hydraulic pump.

===========
long story.
i am trying to build a new "field tractor" for farming. and one of the problems has been trying to find a an engine that will fit within the dimensions i want.
i can push up to 30 inches width x 30 inches high, but rather not. (smaller is better), a couple inches, gets magnified, when trying to fold/unfold implements off top of this tractor, and dealing with suspension per say for wheels.

i have came across some various engines, over last couple months, but nearly all the engines i have came across that may fit near my dimensions, are air craft engines. make it for air planes, jets, helicopters. i am a tad uneasy with some engines i have seen. "providing more thrust" vs actually turning a shaft, that i am wanting. in the field, with tractor, ya kicking up huge amount of dust, leaves, twigs, etc... and the more air an engine sucks in and sends out is a "big con" for me. i understand the more HP, the more air that needs to be compressed for the combustion to happen. but most engines for air craft, are built to allow for that extra air to help move the air craft through the air better. and in that trying to avoid the excessive air intake and excessive exhaust amount.

weight is always a factor, but for field tractor engine, weight really is not a concern.

to restate short story better. 20" width x 20" height, i need to keep everything inside those dimensions, i can place fuel tanks, radiators, hyd oil coolers, batteries, fuse/relay box, air cleaner, muffler, in another section of this tractor. but the engine, generator, and hyd pump will all most likely wanted to be fit within the 20 inch x 20 inch x 13 feet long so i do not have to deal with running a drive shaft between sections.

for more info see....
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/256360-new-tractor-idea-possibly.html

heat is an issue, there is a good amount of various chemicals (fertilizers, pesticides, etc...), that get used in farming, along with dry plant dust, that can flame up quickly. and engine will most likely need to be water cooled.

was hoping to those more in the know than I on air craft engines, might be able to point me in a direction.

============
attached picture is just showing a single section, to give a better idea of restrictions, still undecided if there will be 3 or 4 total sections at this time.

Attachments

• boggen SSTT frame work.jpg
    boggen SSTT frame work.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 253
Back