• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Jet engine intake in the nose

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviast

The early jet aircraft (which had the engine mounted in the fuselage) used a nose intake with a long duct back to the engine. What are the pros and cons of this configuration? It must have been considered the best configuration by many great minds because it was used on both sides of the pond for a few generations of aircraft (although its use seems to have petered out by the mid-50s).

I ask because I have long wondered if this configuration would be suitable for a very light jet. I remember reading about the issues Diamond had designing the two S ducts to get air back to the engine on the D-Jet (example from Plane & Pilot article: "One of the single greatest technical challenges Diamond has had to contend with, thus far, is its bifurcated engine duct design.")

One obvious drawback is that the duct will detract from the cabin space, requiring a larger fuselage radius and the associated increase in drag. Anything else?

Thanks,

Michael

snapshot1.jpg

Back