• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Thinking about the Phoenix...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
No, not the plane from the "Flight of the Phoenix" movies, rather the Boulton Paul P.41 Phoenix. I have pasted below what I wrote about it on another forum. What I would like to discuss here, though, is the tail surface arrangement of the Phoenix with its interchangeable horizontal and vertical surfaces and the horizontal rather than vertical fuselage end post. I have sketched many homebuilt aircraft concepts over the years using similar arrangements that I call my "Phoenix" designs. What are the pros and cons of all-moving tail surfaces like that? Any obvious pros or cons to the horizontal end post type of fuselage? Please share your thoughts. Cheers, Matthew

Always a fan of low cost, low powered aircraft that seek to bring flying within reach of ordinary folks, here is one of my favorites, the Boulton Paul P.41 Phoenix.

boulton_phoenix.jpg

Intended as an inexpensive private aircraft to undercut the DH Moth, it first flew in 1929 as an all-wood "proof of concept" demonstrator with the cranky ABC Scorpion. The next year the single prototype was revised to production standard as the Phoenix II with a new welded steel fuselage, revised landing gear and a Salmson AD9 radial. Note the very simple constant-chord wing and the all-moving, interchangable horizontal and vertical tail surfaces with a horizontal (not vertical) fuselage endpost to allow the stabilizers to attach directly to the fuselage.

boulton_phoenix_1.jpg

Despite reportedly docile handling, the lack of a truly reliable, low-cost engine (something more powerful and reliable than the ABC but cheaper than the Salmson) killed production hopes. Just a few years later, J.A. Prestwich started license production of the 40 hp Aeronca-JAP J-99 (E-113-C), which would have been perfect, but by that time Boulton and Paul had lost interest in little planes for private pilots.

20-3.jpg

The wonderful Richard Riding book, Ultralights: The Early British Classics, has a nice little chapter on the Phoenix. Wikipedia has quite a bit and I have attached a page from the FLIGHT online archive.

View attachment FLIGHT 1930 0409.PDF

Back