• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Batch-starting Xfoil & how to account for scale?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnd

I'm looking to "search" for an ideal set of airfoils for use in a Prop, using a genetic algorithm, and to 3D-Mill the results to compare prediction with reality. I've got the shop setup, and I'm an ace programmer, but I'm having a bit of trouble working out how to manage the "unit chord" idea.

Does anyone here have a good grasp on the setup needed for getting results from Xfoil that can be compared to real measurements?

Specifically, for a chord of 75mm, and a tip speed of 200m/s at sea level in a "dirty" wind tunnel, what settings do I need and how do I put them all into a file with my genetically-produced airfoil shape so I can extract the lift and drag at various angles of attack?

I realize I'm new to this forum, but if someone were to take the time to help (or even, send me a sample file(s) to use), I'll repay the kindness by posting here my source code, & results.

The code plan is to make it general purpose - enter some general parameters for the propeller a computed "ideal" will be calculated, and for anyone with a RML-compatible milling machine (eg: Roland), a resulting actual wooden prop can be in your hands a few hours later.

Chris.

Back