• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Understanding low drag engine intake / cowling design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battson

Can anyone lay some widsom on me, or point me to some online literature, which explains the theory behind good cowling design for low drag air intake for the engine and low drag cooling / air extraction through the engine and out the exhaust tunnel?

I need to design a filtered air intake for a fuel injected Lycoming 540, and I can't find any examples or explaination of what's good and what's bad design.

I understand the basics like creating a baffled plenum for passing air over the engine, its the details of low drag vs. high drag air intakes / filter locations etc. which are baffling me!! :gig:

Back