• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sharp LE on root/strake to induce stall?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarJar

Hi,
After following a meandering path, it seemed to me that a sizable strake on a wing could improve both ends of the performance envelope (low stall/high cruise), on a basically standard tractor, tail-in-the-back configuration.
My daydreams revolve around a two seat vw powered plane, without flaps.
I came to the conclusion that they are not used for a few reasons
1. The stall may occur first on the outboard part of the wing, making them dangerous.
2. There isn't room for them in front of the wing, because the fuselage starts sloping away (up to the prop).
#2 could be solved if it was a mid wing airplane. Of course getting in and out might be more of a b***ch, but you can't everything.
As for #1, couldn't you use an airfoil, with a sharp leading edge, that would give you a leading edge stall, dependably, thus lowering the nose quickly and protecting the rest of the wing? (after all the testing, and correct geometries were found).
The attractive part to me also involves the fact that you get the "lifting body" effect from the fuselage, that, you could say, is wasted otherwise. This would counter the long dimension of interferance drag, at least.
Less weight, less drag, low stall speed. That's basically what I'm looking for (of course aren't we all?).
I wonder if an airfoil could be created, specifically, to have a dependable leading edge stall angle?..?..?
I turn the keypad over to you guys (and gal).
Thanks for any thoughts on any aspect of this.

Attachments

• aa2.jpg
    aa2.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Back