• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Why seaplanes doesn´t fly on ground effect for long range?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oriol

Hi everyone!

My curiosity led me through the net to find about the actual status of the Ekranoplane program and also a bit about ground effect vehicles etc...

I discovered Alexander Lippisch and his very unconventional designs. A company based on singapore (Wigetworks) seems to have acquire his pattent for the Lippisch 114.

Orion complained on a previous thread that there is very limited reliable data about ground effect, WIG...
As from what I red on the net the proximity of the ground helps to reduce the creation of tip vortices, drastically reducing the induced drag of the main wing/aerodynamic surface.

On the other hand the momentum generated is far bigger than the one normally produced by a wing on flight. To counteract this momentum you have to put a big elevator, wich adds induced drag.

Otherwise than that I can´t see why seaplanes don´t fly like WIGs on ground effect for long range?

The vast majority of ground effect vehicle are designed to operate at uncompressible flow, same as most homebuilders, leisure aviation... If we can manage to use this technology we would fly safer on a single engine into open waters.

Any information on the subject is welcomed.:)

Oriol

Lippisch-X114.jpg20080913172712_sea_plane.jpgEBP 04.jpgUltralight Amphibious Seaplane.jpg

Back