• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Vertical stabilizer efficiency

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt G.

When calculating rudder control power using the equation (from Perkins and Hage)

Cr = -av(τ)(Sv/Sw)(lv/b)ηv

Where av is the vertical tail lift curve slope, τ is the rudder effectiveness parameter, Sv and Sw are the vertical tail area and wing area, respectively, lv is the longitudinal distance from the CG to the VT aerodynamic center, b is the wingspan, and ηv is the vertical tail efficiency, how does one determine ηv? I have an equation for the horizontal tail efficiency, but I'm not sure that applies to vertical tails as well. Unless I overlooked something, no book I own (Perkins and Hage, Raymer, McCormick, or Pamadi) mentions how to determine the vertical tail efficiency. In an example in my college stability and control class notes, 0.9 was used for the Navion example that were were doing. I am going to tentatively use that value for my scale T-28 until I can be steered in the right direction, since the Navion's overall configuration is pretty similar to a T-28. Any thoughts?

Back