• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New Low Drag Airfoil!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

durabol

-well actually I just Frankensteined 2 airfoil together but I did get a bit lower drag count according to X-foil.

-compared to lowest drag count for AS5045/NLF0115F of 37 at CL=.2:
-23012 has 18 more
-23015 has 23 more
-2412 has 15 more
-ClarkY has 22 more
-Riblett 30 series has 14-17 more(12% thickness), 15% 5 worse, 18% 10 worse
-Riblett 35 series has 6-10 more
-Riblett 37 series has 5-6 more
-Riblett 40 series has 4-5 more drag and low CLmax

-My dream airfoil would be 18-20% thick (due to structural requirements) with a drag count of around 35 using a long laminar run with a slight cusp and still have reasonable pitching and a wide enough drag bucket. The turbulent airfoils all have way to much drag at this thickness. I tried mixing the AS5045, NLF0115, NLF0215F, NLF414F but X-foil didn't like them. I had better luck combining the fore part of the AS5045 with the aft part of the NLF0115: CL=1.7 at Re=2M, 35 drag counts at CL=.2 at Re=6M. I think I got the improvement because of a better Riblett like LE and the longer laminar run of the NLF0115. I think this airfoil would improve a bit more with an even longer laminar run with more cusp.

Brock

Back