• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rectangular vs. Taper vs. Elliptical Planform: To Taper or Not to Taper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

durabol

-Rectangular/Hershey-bar wing: the same cruise speed as a tapered or elliptical wing and a gentle stall

-Elliptical wing: copy the Spitfire wing but not tapering the thickness at the wing tip so I would have a thicker airfoil (percent-wise) at tips to avoid tip stalls. In summary not much performance increase but looks nicer and like Spitfires. One problem is that I want to use a laminar airfoil but may be too hard to make with elliptical wing.

-A tapered wing (rectangular wing stub with tapered solid foam wing panels) is my current choice. The main advantages would be a larger wing stub (about 10%) for more room for fuel and retractable gear. The wing would be a bit lighter for the area but this isn't much of a problem with pulruded carbon spars. Some of the other advantages would be less induced drag due to smaller wing tips so more efficient slow speed flight but not much effect on cruise speed. Tapered wings are harder to build but not that much harder with composites. Can taper flaperons but must leave same hinge line so only need bend in front spar. 3:2 to 2:1 to taper ratio.

Brock

Back