• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aircraft Design using T-Splines for Rhino

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SchoolStreetDesign

Hello -

I just stumbled upon this site today, and can't for the life of me figure out why I didn't find it before! I do custom fabrication and CAD/CAM work for experimental aircraft. I run a little one man show out of my house at this point, and a lot of my focus is on finding new ways of using cost effective CAD/CAM technology to use at the homebuilder level. I'm working on a conceptual model for a Formula 1 racer right now, and using T-Splines for Rhino to do the exterior surface modeling. I'm giving a talk hosted by T-Splines on Tuesday morning (9am PST) which will go in depth on some of the finer points on using T-Splines for aircraft design, and how to maintain the accuracy of your airfoils while doing so. For those who are unfamiliar with T-Splines, it's a new way of making NURBS surfaces that allows for a completely different way of approaching the surface modeling - the aircraft shown here is one single surface that is unified and can be edited at will, not a collection of sub surfaces that are joined. This means that once the "master" model is created, making tweaks and edits is very simple, and does not require re-creating surfaces which join to the affected area. I will also be going over a different approach to drawing airfoils in NURBS modeling packages, which I think people will find very useful, regardless of what software platform they are on. I don't have any financial relationship with Rhino or T-Splines, I'm just an avid user of both and obsessed with aircraft design. If you'd like to attend, the link is below. If you can't make it, the presentation will be archived. Anyhow, I'm thrilled to have found this board!

https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/381274193

Schuyler Greenawalt

Since the webinar is now archived, here's a link to my blog page where you can view it.

Attachments

• SG3_V7_Conceptual.jpg
    SG3_V7_Conceptual.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,784
Last edited:
Back