+ Reply to Thread

Thread: using a snowmobile engine...

using a snowmobile engine...

I have a bunch of older snowmobile engines laying around, made by Bombardier( Rotax right?). What would I need to convert it to an aero engine? A rebuild kit? There is a local small engine repair co here I could have do the work.

What kinds of Bombardier engines were in old snowmobiles?

Thanks.

BTW, its for a FAR 103 UL. Thanks.
    Last edited by GlassVampire; August 18th, 2010 at 04:46 PM.

Re: using a snowmobile engine...

GV,

As far as I can tell, most of the 2 cycle Rotax engines being offered for sale for use in light sport or ultra-light aircraft started out life as a snowmobile engine. They detune them and run them at lower RPM than a snowmobile engine would normally run.

I am not sure if you are thinking of a single cylinder or a twin, but if the engine has been laying around for a while, you should have the engine rebuilt by a reputable snowmobile engine shop, or better yet, a Ski-Doo dealer.

Of course do not mention the word aircraft to them. They will just hand the engine back to you.

I have looked at the Rotax aircraft engine site and it looks like the gear cases will bolt to almost any of the more modern engines. By modern I mean something less then 15 years old. You could always use the belt drive which could be made to work on just about any engine.

If you are handy with tools and want to save some money, just have the shop do the crank and bottom assy. They could also hone the cylinders for you, but you could assemble the top end.

Richard

Thanks Richard6, but I think I'm just going to purchase a rebuilt engine from Vortec or similar.

As far as I can tell, most of the 2 cycle Rotax engines being offered for sale for use in light sport or ultra-light aircraft started out life as a snowmobile engine. They detune them and run them at lower RPM than a snowmobile engine would normally run.

I am not sure if you are thinking of a single cylinder or a twin, but if the engine has been laying around for a while, you should have the engine rebuilt by a reputable snowmobile engine shop, or better yet, a Ski-Doo dealer.

Of course do not mention the word aircraft to them. They will just hand the engine back to you.

I have looked at the Rotax aircraft engine site and it looks like the gear cases will bolt to almost any of the more modern engines. By modern I mean something less then 15 years old. You could always use the belt drive which could be made to work on just about any engine.

If you are handy with tools and want to save some money, just have the shop do the crank and bottom assy. They could also hone the cylinders for you, but you could assemble the top end.

Richard

I studied the engine of four-wheel motorcycle polaris 250 single cylinder this engine is impressive 22hp factory has some pieces with something like $ 300 comes to 33hp and some 38hp more than enough money that no one uses this engine really understand what the version is almost 50hp 400cc single-cylinder also on ebay you can buy a used engine for $ 299 if you add a pipe piston rod and spend $ 299 more for 33hp is something you take into account and is a engine 0 hrs

LOOK ON THE BACK OF THE CASE. THERE IS A BLACK DATA PLATE ON TOP THAT GIVES THE BORE & STROKE AND CC OF THE ENGINE. GIVE SOME INFO ON WHAT YOU HAVE FOR ENGINES. ALSO LOOK AROUND THE PTO END/CLUTCH END, IS THERE 4 OR 8 HOLES AROUND THE CRANK AREA? MOST 80'S SKIDOO/ROTAX ENGINES HAD PROVISION 4 CASES. MOST 90'S ENGINES HAD PROVISION 8 CASES. THE 670 WAS THE LAST PROVISION 8 ENGINE MADE. I WAS TOLD, NOT CONFIRMED SOME OF THE EARLY SKIDOO/ROTAX 550F ENGINES IN THE EARLY 2000s HAD PROVISION 8 CASES ALSO. THE STANDARD 670 MAKES 90HP AT 6400RPM. THEY DID MAKE A 670HO ALSO. USES A DIFFERENT HEAD AND FLATOP PISTONS. HO HAD BIGGER ROD BEARINGS.

RICH GILLEN

Please don't post in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS... it's considered rude, the online equivalent of SHOUTING and is harder to read.

-Dana

+ Reply to Thread