+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Parajet Roton Wankle

Parajet Roton Wankle

I just got an Email from Jim Edmondson jim@parajet.com
    They are taking orders for their new rotary engines. I asked some questions, price, USA distributor, availability, etc. I'll let you know if/when I hear more.

Parajet: Rotron Engine
    Mark E. Stull
    mstull@wtxs.net

Re: Parajet Roton Wankle

Mark, do you have any previous experience / feelings about these folk?

They have been making a little PPG two stroke engine for a spell, to go with their top-of-the-line PPG. They have a USA distributor in California. Other than that, no. I've never done business with them or anything.

I'd guess it might be a spell before they actually start exporting the engines to USA. I asked which one they plan to produce first. I expect it to be expensive.
    Mark E. Stull
    mstull@wtxs.net

Rotron Engines have now entered the durability test phase. Development over the previous 12 months has been extensive and we now have two engines that will be available in July this year. A 294cc single rotor 45hp engine and a 160cc single rotor 25hp engine. Each size of engine has been developed to accommodate either a bespoke fuel injection system with auto altitude compensation or a standard diaphragm carburettor. Both the 294cc engine and the 160cc engine blocks have been durability tested in our dynamometer test cell for 400 hours. We are extremely pleased with the test results and estimate TBO to be approx 400hours.

Over the following 3 months we will carry out durability tests in real life applications for both engines and the new running gear...ie exhaust systems, coolant radiator, starter motors, a range a re-drive ratios to suit different propeller diameters and the fuel injection and onboard generator system. We expect to learn a great deal over the following months and fine tune the new running gear components ready for the official launch of the Rotron Engine range in July 2009.

Engine Specs and Dimensions: (Please also find attached photos of the two sizes of engines currently fitted into Parajet airframes)

294CC Rotron Engine
    Power Out Put: 40hp @ 7600rpm
    Engine Weight: 15.4 kg (including generator, starter, exhaust and radiator)
    Cubic Capacity: 294cc
    Fuel System: Fuel Injection with Auto Altitude compensation and auto cold start or standard Tillotson Diaphragm Carburettor
    Starting: Electric Start or recoil pull start
    Cooling: Liquid Cooled
    Power Generator: 32 Amp generator built in
    Mount Dimensions: Standard layout distance between centres Horizontal: 175mm and Vertical 345mm (custom dimensions available)
    Zero Vibration: 3400rpm 7600rpm

160CC Rotron Engine
    Power Out Put: 25hp @ 7600rpm
    Engine weight: 12.8kg (including generator, starter, exhaust and radiator)
    Cubic Capacity: 160cc
    Fuel System: Fuel Injection with Auto Altitude compensation and auto cold start or standard Tillotson Diaphragm Carburettor
    Starting: Electric Start or recoil pull start
    Cooling: Liquid Cooled
    Power Generator: 32 Amp generator built in
    Zero Vibration: 3400rpm 7600rpm
    Mount Dimensions: Standard layout distance between centres Horizontal: 175mm and Vertical 345mm (custom dimensions available)

We will send you an update shortly with a full price list and delivery lead times. Detailed engine specs and layout options with the re-drive ratios established and exhaust layout options will also be made available.

Jim Edmondson

Sales and Marketing Manager

Parajet Limited
    Beaumont Business Centre,
    Woodlands Road,
    Mere,
    Wiltshire BA12 6BT
    Mark E. Stull
    mstull@wtxs.net

News of those engines is very exciting. And those weights are fantastic... but that time frame seems terribly optimistic...

I understand they're not Rotax or Lycoming. They can't sit in development for a few years working out the kinks. However, one engine on one test stand does not impress me. And what is a couple of 3-month durability tests going to show? How many hours can they possibly put on the motors in that time frame? Getting halfway to TBO would seem to be quite a challenge unless you're paying someone to fly 8 hours a day or have a club that's agreed to take turns...

Edit to add.... I want one....
    Great minds discuss ideas
    and mediocre minds speak of events
    While small minds talk about people.

Most paramotors probably get 100 - 300 hours on them in their life; and it's not as if an engine failure is a big deal with a paramotor. I'd be relatively comfortable flying one of these if noise levels are reasonable and if cost is sane. I do suspect that the weight is without gearbox, though.

Grimace,

The good news is the engines might be a way for you to start considering building an U/L again. Yes, we've all heard of proposed engines that never made production. I'd guess 34% chance they'll ever be exported to USA. Have you looked at their supercharged/race version? Generally any problems with the design will show up quick in hopped up engines. Yes, reliability is a relative thing.

I expect these engines to be VERY expensive... especially the fuel injected version. It's not made in China, after all. To me, the extremely low vibration is worth a lot. Yes, I bet the complete engine with re'drive, radiator, exhaust, and all, will be quite a bit heavier. I just hope they sell it with all that stuff included.

It is great news that new U/L engines are being developed.
    Mark E. Stull
    mstull@wtxs.net

If they can bring the cost down to, say, comparable to a 447 they could own that end of the market. There's a lot of slightly "fat" ultralights that could be 100% legal with a 34 lb. engine! I'm not holding my breath, though.

-Dana

The number of elected federal officials is limited to congress, the president and the vice president. That's only 537 people. The federal bureaucracy numbers in the millions.....
    Fisher FP-404
    ParaFan PPG
    Kolb Ultrastar

, I bet the complete engine with re'drive, radiator, exhaust, and all, will be quite a bit heavier
    Engine Weight: 15.4 kg (including generator, starter, exhaust and radiator)
    so all you'd worry about is the weight of the redrive...

edit: after looking at the pics, the redrive seems built in..
    Jim

------------------------------------------------
    Express 2000FT (hopeful - Again)

Jim,

I still haven't received the pictures that they promised. The engine in the photo on the web site is their turbocharged race version... that does have the re'drive built into it.

I just noticed in the first paragraph it says 45 Hp, but in the specs, it says 40 Hp. Either way, it's great power to weight. Also the specs say the weight includes "starter", but it doesn't say which one, electric or recoil. I guess it's too soon to get excited. We Yanks might have sticker shock when we see the price anyway.
    Last edited by mstull; January 21st, 2009 at 12:22 AM. Reason: c
    Mark E. Stull
    mstull@wtxs.net

I got the pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parajet Roton Wankle-rotron-1-160cc.jpg   Parajet Roton Wankle-rotron-1-294cc.jpg  
    Mark E. Stull
    mstull@wtxs.net

Quote Originally Posted by mstull View Post
    I got the pictures.
    Wow!!! That thing is tiny!!!

Very neat little engine. It's a pity that I'm likely to have to sell the house to afford one, though.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry James Thoreau

Design Project: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider
    Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

I have trouble imagining that much power from such a small engine, let alone any claims of low fuel consumption.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by bmcj View Post
    I have trouble imagining that much power from such a small engine, let alone any claims of low fuel consumption.

Bruce
    Rotaries are insanely light and small for the power they produce. They are, in effect, two stroke motors with one(?) moving part. I know I heard a story once about how wankels are treated differently by some racing organization... can't remember if it's auto racing, or motorcycles, or what. But the upshot is that a wankel motor produces the power of a normal IC engine that has twice the displacement. Of course, the wankel is not an internal combustion panacea. Apex seals are prone to leakage and breaking and must endure incredibly high temperatures.. and exhaust design is somewhat critical... and they require oil, just like a two stroke. Also there are a lot of patents held on improvements to the wankel (many owned by mazda) and that makes development or refinement of the engine difficult. But they still are amazing engines capable of astounding power-to-weight ratios. To be honest, the power they are producing at that weight does not surprise me... wankels are great little engines...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast