+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Righter WW2 drone engine

Righter WW2 drone engine

I had one of these for a while, before passing it on to a collector. Opposed-twin geared-down 2-stroke, powered a much smaller drone than the Mac. Two of these on a CriCri would be interesting. I have been told that new surplus Righters in cosmoline can still be had, pretty inexpensively.

One of the factory workers at Righter was a little gal named Norma Jean Dougherty, who later moved on to better things (maybe) under another name. Walter Righter, Reginald Denny, and Norma Jean make for an interesting story. Check it out. Google "Righter drone engine," or try http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargra...dioplane4.html

Re: Righter WW2 drone engine

Quote Originally Posted by seattle smitty View Post
    ... I have been told that new surplus Righters in cosmoline can still be had, pretty inexpensively....
    Really? Wherabouts?

Interesting article - thanks for posting!
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry James Thoreau
    Member of the Lake Elsinore Soaring Club.

I'll ask the guy who told me about it.

Boy, my senior brain is really dropping cylinders! I completely forgot the coolest part of the Righter: COUNTER-ROTATING PROPS!!!! That's right, the gearbox wasn't to slow the bladespeed, it was to swing a second prop! You'd want to watch you fingers when starting the little beast. Take a look. http://www.designation-systems.net/d...pp1/oq-14.html
    Last edited by Old Jupiter; March 31st, 2008 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seattle smitty View Post
    I'll ask the guy who told me about it.

Boy, my senior brain is really dropping cylinders! I completely forgot the coolest part of the Righter: COUNTER-ROTATING PROPS!!!! That's right, the gearbox wasn't to slow the bladespeed, it was to swing a second prop! You'd want to watch you fingers when starting the little beast. Take a look. http://www.designation-systems.net/d...pp1/oq-14.html
    I have an engine, without the rotating props and missing the carb and ignition, any ideas on locating parts? It is in great shape.
    I also would be interested in a new motor...

I just accired one of these righter engines and was wanting to sell it can you help me out ..here....574-808-9596
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Righter WW2 drone engine-p5130395.jpg  

David; I sent you an email before I found this site.
    I have a Righter 0-45-1 I believe not a 0-45-3. This should be 22 HP if i'm correct plus is a all black engine. Made by Carl Kiekhaefer 1946 USN. It has a float carb with 2" intake, a spring loaded choke with a high speed jet only. I believe it's a 22 HP not 38 HP, I need to check the numbers, 0-45-1 or a 0-45-3. It has the distributor
    cover and one clip for the cover missing, otherwise it's complete with plugs and ignition wires. No ignition coil. There is the prop hub with rear flange on the nose of the crank no front of prop plate or the prop bolts. I wanted to find out the prop diameter and pitch plus oil mix and any operating instructions. It has 1" long exhaust stacks. I have a ultra light prop that's too big, i'll cut it down but need a pitch and diameter before I cut. I want to hear it run. Also a Burgass M5 I believe not a Morton M5, plain white plugs no Champ names. It's 100% complete with ignition wires and the tube engine mount plus a 3 blade aluminum prop. This I want to hear run also.
    Any help with this Righter would be great. I sure like the little 0-15 Righter in the pictures also. I saved my Richter from the aluminum scrap pile, a neighbor at a public storage was cleaning out his dads stall as he passed away. It has good compression and turns over like new it had been run many years ago and oiled up. I've had it for 24 years, time to wake it up. Thanks. Carl in Alameda, Calif. r90scj@gmail.com I'm an engine nut and gearhead. Thanks all.

My mistake on engine date posted above for my 0-45-1 (22hp) I have it was was manufactured in 8-45 not 8-46 as I posted.
    Does anyone have any engine starting, running, oil ratio, distributor timing as well a distributor end cover and one spring retaining clip for it? You name the price I would be happy to own these couple parts. I also need the prop diameter and pitch specs for a prop then locate one within this engines hp then i'll be ready to wake it up and hear it run. Thanks. Carl in the San Francisco bay area.

Quote Originally Posted by revwebb View Post
    I have an engine, without the rotating props and missing the carb and ignition, any ideas on locating parts? It is in great shape.
    I also would be interested in a new motor...
    There is one on ebay with the ignition wires directly on the distributors terminal, totally wrong! The sell has it looking brand new and complet with prop, asking price $4K.
    Ebay item;http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-Aircraft-Dr...item27b04a75b3

I have an 0-45-1 Righter with the single 32 inch prop... I am very interested in getting it running, but I have found little or no actual information anywhere on this engine, from starting to performance specs. Is there anywhere I should look or anyone who knows these things I could talk to? If I was to apply the engine in driving a slow light (very light) plane, should I try finding a larger diameter shallow propeller for it? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

What is the pitch of that prop plus the blade width" So far i've learned the O-45-1 engine has a 32" prop but more info is needed before I can run my engine. Thanks in advance.

+ Reply to Thread