• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Brand of gasoline affecting EGT?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wakataka

Yesterday I did the $100 hamburger thing and flew my Kawasaki 440 powered ultralight to an airport about 45 miles away to get lunch. I should mention that I'm flying a new engine, with new seals and gaskets, and only about 5 hours of run time. On the outbound flight, burning the premium fuel from the local no-name station that I usually run, EGT was running a little below 1,100 degrees. On the return flight, burning premium fuel from a nearby Chevron, the EGT was just below 1,200, at the same altitude and RPM. CHT was the same in both directions. There was no detectable change in the engine performance other than the higher EGT. I've never run Chevron fuel in this engine before. Chevron is supposed to be good quality fuel, but the station I bought it from doesn't do a lot of volume so the fuel may sit in their tanks for awhile. The place I usually buy fuel is one of the cheaper and therefore busier stations around so there is likely frequent turnover of the fuel in their tanks.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever experienced a change in EGT associated with using a different brand of fuel?

On the next flight, I plan to drain the remaining Chevron fuel out of the tank, replace it with my usual no-name fuel, and see if the EGT goes back down to the normal 1,100 degree range. If that doesn't fix it, I guess I'll raise the needle up a notch to richen the mixture a bit. I'd just like to know why it changed.

Back