• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rotax gearboxes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmatt

I have 3 different Rotax gearboxes. I have both an "A" and a "B" on a couple of 503s and an "E" on a 582.

I see that the maintenance manual says to check the spring preload for the "B" gearbox every 100 hours. I assume that this means I should also check the "A" and that they don't mention it because the "A" gearbox was out of production by the time the manual was revised in 1999. Can I also assume from this that the "E" gearbox is either self adjusting or was designed differently?

Is the 100 hours set by Rotax realistic? Has anyone found their gearbox to be way out of spec at these checks? I'm not trying to get out of checking, but I don't want to waste my time if most people find that a different interval is more realistic.

Thanks!

Back