• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Is it possible for carbs on a Rotax 503 to form ice on the ground?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THRC12

Running and tuning on my 503 dual carb points engine. Motor is fresh and runs great. Egts were running below a 1000 wide open so I'm working with the jetting. Mikuni carbs. Now have 200 front and 195 rear and the engine runs way better and the Egts are now a little above a 1000 full throttle and very stable through the range now. My question on icing is that when you run it wide open for about a minute or longer it will slow down 500 ish rpms from 6000 static and both Egts will drop around a 100 to 150 colder. You can back down the throttle to half ish run a second then back to full and it's full steam ahead till it does it again.
It was like this before any jet changes also.
By the time I can remove air filter, it would be clear and I would have to shut down wide open also. Any thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Teddy

Back